The Airsense 10 is a CPAP machine that is suitable for the treatment of patients in oxygenation failure. In YGC we use what we call ‘Triple Ten Therapy’ for patients with COVID-19: a pressure of 10, Oxygen flow of 10, on the Airsense 10.
The patient circuit is the equipment that connects a patient to a CPAP machine. There is a specific patient circuit that will be used in YGC for patients with COVID-19 that should be followed.
- The patient interface is a full-face, non-vented mask which fits over the patient’s nose and mouth and secured using straps.
- The mask should also have an oxygen entrainment valve in the side where oxygen is entrained at 10 litres/minute.
- The mask should be non-vented; this means that there is no exhalation valve which is important for infection control. The universal indication for a non-vented mask is that the elbow is blue, but other models of non-vented masks can be used in these patients and the colour of the elbow piece may vary.
HME filter (antibacterial-viral filter)
- The HME filter fits onto the elbow of the patient interface, and filters the air that the patient exhales.
Standard 22mm circuit tubing with exhalation valve
- The standard 22mm circuit tubing attaches to the back of the CPAP machine.
- The end of the tubing with the exhalation valve should be at the patient-end of the circuit. This ensures the patient does not re-breath their waste gases.
ResMed Airsense 10 CPAP machines in YGC will be pre-set to 10cmH2O for patients with COVID-19 requiring extra oxygenation support. For more information about managing COVID-19 paitents in oxygenation failure on a COVID-19 ward, open the ‘Guideline on the management of Oxygenation failure’ (found below).
To start CPAP treatment:
- Connect the circuit to the machine in the following order; face mask with entrained oxygen, anti-bacterial viral filter, 22mm tubing with exhalation valve.
- Fit the mask to the patient; tight enough to prevent any leak, but not too tight to cause pressure damage to the skin.
- Connect the oxygen tube to the oxygen port on the mask and start oxygen therapy.
- Press the button on the top of the Airsense 10 CPAP machine.